Thursday, March 14, 2013

one by one: small acts of kindness

If you are just now joining us, please go back and read THIS POST about the One by One Project.....and please jump right in!
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
We have been in our house now for 13 days. 
In those 13 days I have experienced more kindness than my brain can even begin to comprehend. 
I am warm and fuzzy all over despite the chilly mountain breeze.
Our good friends spent an entire day of their weekend helping us unload and unload and unload our life into our house.
We have been welcomed by neighbors--with smiles and handshakes and treats. 
A seat was saved for us at church on Sunday.
It was the loaf of homemade bread that did me in. 
Such a simple act, yet I had to hold back tears as I received it in my doorway.
Our family has been welcomed into this community so quickly, and it's everyone's small acts of kindness that have made us feel like we are right where we are supposed to be. 
And all in less than two weeks.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com

Your second One by One Challenge:
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
a small act. 
nothing grand. 
small and simple things that are easy to do, 
yet could make a huge difference to a neighbor. a friend. a stranger. 

-take your neighbor's garbage can in for them at the end of the day
-return a shopping cart in the parking lot for a busy mom
-visit with a neighbor
-let someone go ahead of you in line at the store
-pop a few extra quarters in the meter

There are so many little things we can do!
I asked my kids what we should do to be nice to someone and they said 
"let's draw people pictures!"

Even kids understand what makes people happy.

While I don't want to hear what acts of kindness you are doing 
(remember--then it doesn't count if you tell everyone about it), 
I would love to hear if you have been on the receiving end of a small act of kindness. 
It really is the best feeling.

good luck! have fun! 
be kind.

for some great ideas of simple acts, check out Julie's blog
or leave your own ideas in the comments here.

and if you can, spread the word! the more people we can get in on this, 
the more of a difference we can start to make.
one by one.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

So lovely to hear that you have been so welcomed into your new community - yay for country folk huh?!? Today a young man jumped out of his car to open some double doors for me whilst I was struggling with a pram and about a million bags - so unexpected, so very kind.

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
breanna said...

I thought I'd share a time in my life when I was on the receiving end of small, but to me, huge acts of kindness. My daughter was born with a disability and has had several surgeries on her hip. When she was seven months old, she was in a Spica cast (body cast) for about 12 weeks. There were many times that I would go to the grocery store and have to carry her on my hip because she didn't fit into the cart with her cast. By the time I was done shopping my arm would be throbbing from carrying her and my hip would be sore because the cast would rub against it while I carried her. I had so many times when I thought, how am I going to load all these groceries onto the grocery belt thing, when someone behind me would step in and help me with loading my groceries onto the belt. It may have seemed like something small to that person, but to me it made all the difference in the world and I became aware of the many kind people around me who are willing to help someone in need. (Sorry for the crazy long comment.)

Jenny said...

I haven't received any acts of kindness as of yet but I have shared the mission with my readers! Thanks for the great idea and happy to hear you're enjoying your new home

www.ruralmamaadventures.blogspot.com

Clandestine Road said...

Love it. I am inspired and started a little something for a neighbor. Thanks for the reminder that a little kindness means so much.

Angela

kassidi bridge said...

I have been on the receiving end for 3 weeks. And while it's hard to let others do things for me, I am overwhelmed at the love offered through service. Completely overwhelmed. It is very humbling and incredible.

Carol said...

I am the RS President in my ward and one day a while ago I had an extremely busy overwhelming day. In fact the whole week had been crazy. I had promised my sweet husband that I would fix him a good dinner that night as I hadnt done very well in the homemaking department for several days. But I could see as the day was moving along, once again, a hot, home cooked meal had to be put on the back burner. At just that moment my doorbell rang and one of my sweet neighbors was standing at my door with a pan of homemade enchiladas ready to be cooked. All she said to me was, "The Lord wants you to know that you are loved and he is aware of you!" Wow... needless to say the food warmed our bellies but the act of kindness warmed my heart.

SKCranePhotography said...

I've had a similar experience where I just moved to in Provo. It's amazing how far a small gesture of kindness will go. They always say, doing service brightens your day and those receiving it. So why not; it makes you and those around you happier in spirit!

Kylie said...

The other day I walked to the store with my son because it's been nice out lately. Unfortunately, there aren't sidewalks the whole way, but a nice man walking the same direction helped me to lift my stroller onto the pavement, and then helped me carry it across a really slushy/icy patch that was too hard to push.

Anonymous said...

Last week my husband locked my daughter in our van, along with the keys and his phone! The lady that parked in the space next to him drove to our house to pick up the spare set. What a lovely stranger!

Unknown said...

This past weekend my husband and I were doing some last minute shopping to prepare for baby number three due any day now. Since I am dead set on getting out for more walks and being outside, we decided to buy a double stroller (We have a 3 + 1 year old currently, so something to carry 1 year old Portie + newborn). When we were at checkout, there was a couple in the lane next to us, and before I paid, one of the men came over and offered us one of their coupons. Save $5 on a purchase of $50 or more. It was a very nice gesture.

Lacey Parr said...

Since becoming a mom a mere 7 months ago, my faith in the human race has increased so much! I am constantly receiving unsolicited help that I am so grateful for. People taking my cart after I have loaded groceries. People even carrying my groceries for me. It's made me more aware of ways I can help others in return!

Anonymous said...

Small acts of kindness have become a habit for me, because I discovered that I was on the receiving end of the warm and fuzzy feeling just as much as the recipient of the kind act!
I once went to pay my bill at a cafe after a solo lunch and discovered that someone who had been dining there had anonymously paid for my meal. A stranger, who had no desire for recognition or even a thank you. It made me want to do something for someone else and share the feeling.
I love this series. :)

Trikle Trade said...

I read your post and I really like it, Thanks for sharing useful information....

small act of kindness
random kindness